Editorial Operations & Contracts Assistant
Book of the Month is seeking a highly organized and detail-oriented Editorial Operations Assistant to help our Editorial team maintain our current editorial processes. This role is a great opportunity for individuals with relevant contract experience who are interested in learning more about the business side of the books industry in an entrepreneurial environment.
The person in this role will have a hand in book production, drafting and filing licensing agreements, uploading book content to our website, as well as reading manuscripts with the Editorial team. This job is perfect for someone with a process-oriented mindset and excellent attention to detail.
What you will be doing…
- Assist in the execution of licensing agreements including: drafting agreements, managing licensing trackers, and filing.
- Perform administrative tasks such as building and maintaining various trackers, and reports.
- Organize, proofread, and upload content to our website.
- Assist with production tasks including collaborating with the production team, proofreading jackets, reviewing audiobook files, and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Read approximately 3-4 books a week and provide feedback to the Editorial team.
- Support the Editorial team in cross-functional processes as needed.
You should be…
- Deadline-driven. You are able to prioritize work and make sure projects stay on track.
- Detail-oriented. You catch everything from typos to grammatical errors—nothing gets by you!
- Organized and process-oriented. You excel at juggling multiple projects at once.
- Avid reader. You’re familiar with Book of the Month and have knowledge of commercially successful adult fiction.
- 1+ year in drafting agreements or contract administration
- 2+ years of professional experience in relevant fields
- Proofreading skills and/or some editing skills
- Fast reader. You can read up to 4 books a week
- Knowledge of the publishing industry and/or subsidiary rights is a plus
- Basic knowledge of Excel/Google sheets
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for the Book of the Month brand and mission
Base salary range between: $60,000 - $65,000