Book of the Month is seeking a Freelance Reader to help the Editorial Team find the best new books for our members each month. We’re looking for people who can commit to reading 2–3 books a week, which can take approximately 15 hours. This person will read manuscripts chosen by our Editorial Team and provide helpful feedback and reviews on books being considered for selection. This is a great freelance opportunity for someone who is a fast reader with strong taste in commercial and upmarket adult fiction.
What you will be doing:
- Read 2–3 manuscripts a week and evaluate their potential for the Book of the Month audience
- Submit written reviews and recommendations for each manuscript read
- Provide analysis and feedback in a weekly call with Editorial Team members
- Incorporate feedback from Editorial Team in order to better tailor reviews for Book of the Month audience
- An avid reader. You are well-versed in adult fiction, authors, and successful commercial literature and have a well-developed book taste.
- A strong communicator. You assert your opinions strongly and clearly.
- A fast reader who reads at least three books every week.
- Up-to-date with the current publishing market. You have a deep knowledge of the adult fiction landscape and know what makes a book succeed.
- Familiar with the Book of the Month brand and our previous selections.
- Must be able to read 2–3 books every week
- Demonstrated experience with professional reading or manuscript evaluation (i.e literary scouting, book publishing, library science, book selling, editorial, etc.)
- Must be available for a weekly call during regular business hours
- Deep knowledge of and familiarity with commercially successful adult fiction published in the last few years
Apply for this position